As a traveller, and especially while backpacking, you’re blessed to meet many wise, wonderful, and wacky people. Here are a few of the stereotypical personalities that I stumbled across in my experience. What personality types stand out for you on your travels?
- The professional backpacker – They’ve been travelling for literally years, and you have no idea how they do it. They have ALL the advice and tips, are exceptionally comfortable in their own skin and confident in any situation. I wish I knew their secret to such a lifestyle, but I imagine it’s a lot harder than it looks! Of course, their glowing tan is to die for.
- The Gap Yah – They’ve recently left school and you just want to make sure they’re ok. They’re bold and curious and you want to know what they get up to next in their lives (thanks Facebook). I’ve always admired those who take the leap and travel extensively at a young age, especially those striving to get the most out of their adventures.
- The Hippie – At one with the world and nature, they will have a good deep chat with anyone and everyone (probably about the faults of mankind and how technology is taking over). They’ve lived in the most mysterious and far removed places and you wonder how on earth they manage to afford a constantly travelling lifestyle when they’re so damn chilled. Travelling a less conventional route, they have some hidden gem tips to give you about places you haven’t even heard of.
- The Couple – They’re loved up and not afraid to show it. They’re enviably beautiful and happy, with an Instagram feed of dreamy beach pics that give you FOMO even when you’re visiting those places too. Annoyingly lovely, you can’t help but just want to be them and be their best friend all at once.
- The heart-broken – They’ve recently broken up from a serious and long-term relationship and truly looking to rediscover themselves. Having quit their city life/grad scheme job, the sun and sea is their new calling. They might have a little rant and a moan about them from time to time, but they’re happy to give anything a try with their new carpe diem attitude.
- The working holiday – They know everyone you meet along the way in some bizarre twist that shows you just what a small world it really is. Go to them for the tips on the best (and worst) hostels, and hang around them if you want to try and get a discount at the local bars, they’ve probably worked there.
- The LADS – Imagine the stereotype of Brits abroad, add in far too much alcohol and sunshine and you meet this rowdy bunch. Purely out for a good time, they could be anywhere in the world and always come as a package deal. They’re either hilariously entertaining or gratingly annoying, with very little in between.
- The WWOOFer – Always looking out to save a bit of cash, they’re not afraid to get their hands dirty, muck in, and embrace all the craziness of a backpacker life. Best of all, they have some of the weirdest and wackiest stories you could imagine. You’ll probably find yourself bonding with them over your hatred of folding laundry quicker than you thought possible.
- The older woman – Being middle-aged doesn’t mean you should stop exploring the world. She plays mum to the younger ones and tries so hard to be down with the kids, but really just wants to be a proper tourist and tick those famous sights off the bucket list. A huge amount of respect for anyone who goes for what they want in life, it’s worth making the time for a chat as their life experience means you’ll learn a lot from them. Can’t help but be slightly jealous of their higher budget though!
- The selfie fanatic – Excitable and eager, they never miss a chance to snap a pic of any famous (or not) scene. They have a range of gadgets such as a GoPro, DSLR, phone accessories and all the attachments. Happy and chatty your best travel snaps will probably be captured by these guys.
- The greatest people you will ever meet – Sometimes even after trekking across the world you can manage to find people you click with, who just get you, no matter who they might be. To those people: thank you for coming into my life and making the experience of travelling even more incredible!
Melis Living05/02/2019 at 8:32 am
Love this – I have definitely met everyone on this list!! Melis x
suzystories05/04/2019 at 8:20 am
Oh I’m glad it’s not just me that’s come across so many characters!